Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Voluntary Exile

Webster defines exile as 


 b : the state or a period of voluntary absence from one's country or home

 2: a person who is in exile

   There’s a point when one is exiled from their daily success. Constant instant gratification isn’t constant and neither is non-gratification. I keep daily goals that have become somewhat of a habit/foundation/dream. Even a realist dreams… 

 Webster defines Realism as


 1: concern for fact or reality and rejection of the impractical and visionary

 2 a : a doctrine that universals exist outside the mind; specifically : the conception that an abstract term names an independent and unitary reality

 b : a theory that objects of sense perception or cognition exist independently of the mind —

 3: the theory or practice of fidelity in art and literature to nature or to real life and to accurate representation without idealization

   …a world with accurate representation, if not then why too does a realist make mistakes? Stepping outside the box isn’t just a figure of speech. It is great advice, I look at ‘staying in your square’ as actually being cramped in a box. There must be time for stretching or else stiffness can occur. 

 “It's a kindness that the mind can go where it wishes.” ― Ovid, The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters 

 No limitations, allowing your mind to rest voluntarily away from home. To drift in to a foreign zone for the first day forces the body, mind and spirit to rest. Patience is not one of my best qualities so allowing my mind to exit as if I’m in a new environment was therapeutic. I forced myself away from my home and into a uncharted world. I experienced the comfort away from reality, dreams, burdens, stress and daily work activities. I returned feeling a sense of hope I knew was there but needed to a little spit shine. We know what is asked of us and what is expected. We know what life is and what we wish it was. We know how to maneuver and how to function but every now and then you need a refresher. The knives in the draw need to be sharpened.

No comments:

Post a Comment